A Tool Story
The Sherman family, owners of Berland's, got their start in the tool business in 1914 when Mason Sherman left the presidency of Birmingham Steel and teamed up with Roger Klove to create the S-K Wrench company. S-K was one of a handful of wrench manufacturers to survive the great depression and they are still sold at Berland’s today. Mason’s son, William and grandson, Dave continued in the family’s wrench business, then, in 1949, Dave began selling tools out of the trunk of his car and eventually formed a wholesale tool company named Clark-Hall. But Dave saw a changing world and was bitten by the retail bug. In 1969 he bought a store named Berland’s on Chicago’s northwest side.
At the time, Berland’s specialized in tools for the plaster, masonry, cement and trowel trades.. Dave’s son, Dwight, upon graduating college, joined the company in 1974. Dwight saw the retail potential in Berland’s and greatly expanded the lines to cover more trades. Eventually Dave sold Clark-Hall and Dwight turned Berland’s into the three location tool superstore it is today: a tool nut’s paradise, a carpenter’s candy store, a man’s best friend. Today, Dwight’s son Spencer and wife Janet are also key members of the company, ensuring that the family tradition continues.